April 2016 Board Meeting Minutes

  1. Call to order @ 7:02 Matt, Rebecca, David, Jared, Joe, Brennan, Nancy, Adam, and Jim, Randy, Mark & Lyles
  2. Reviewed and approved March meeting minutes
  3. Reviewed agenda
  4. 140 members (141 members last month) – Includes one new member!
  5. Standing Committee Reports
    1. River Watch – Brenan Filippini: Nothing new
    2. Safety and Education – Jared Cook: Four (4) members have expressed interest so far, but we need a minimum of eight (8). Considered establishing a cutoff date for folks to express interest, and/or pushing back into June if not enough interest.
    3. Communications – David Elliott: Working on the river flows page on wrrr.org, wants to make small layout changes (time permitting)
    4. Membership – Joe Koncikowski: Finished drafting a letter to send to past members. Decided regular mail will be more effective versus email, and perhaps create a postcard; David will look into options.
    5. Programs/Volunteers – Nancy Douty: Flip Practice is good to go, will send out a reminder online.
    6. WRRR Wear – Rebecca Post: Many polyester shirts are available; will look into getting hats.
  6. Old Business
    1. Safety Class Status – Jared Cook: See notes under #5(2) above
    2. Shangri-La cleanup roundup: Had 30+ volunteers. Went great, except for a mishap involving the pressure washer…..
    3. Rower’s Progression progress – Brennan Filippini: Third trip on the lower Green went great, practiced rescue skills
    4. Flip Practice status – Nancy Douty: Ready to go
    5. Green River Cleanup status – Brennan Filippini: Most trash is up in the Headworks area. Might be a good idea to get radios so volunteers at top and bottom can communicate. Sounds like Howard Hanson dam is keeping flows to 200-300 CFS below inflow (no special arrangement for cleanup weekend). The GR Cleanup registration website is up and running; has trash map. The cleanup is officially put on by the Green River Cleanup Committee, of which WRRR is a sponsor.
    6. Wenatchee Rendezvous status – Brennan Filippini: We are camping the same place as last year. Brennan has the article written and will put GPS location on the website.
    7. Wenatchee Rendezvous General Membership meeting agenda: Rebecca will put an agenda together. There will be raffles and prizes.
    8. White Salmon planning – Brennan Filippini: Good to go. Still wondering whether we need to prepay camping? Didn’t hear back
  7. New Business
    1. Poker Run discussion
    2. Tacoma methanol plant – Rebecca Post: Rebecca was contacted from someone opposing a new methanol plant that would draw water from the Green River. She will contact Thomas O’Keefe at AW to see if they are acting on this.
    3. Membership letter – Joe Koncikowski: We will email the letter and mail a postcard; David will help.
    4. Membership renewal incentives – David Elliott: People tend to wait until they are ready to go to an event to obtain/renew their membership. Could we create incentives for renewing? e.g. free raffle tickets, free poker hand? Need to consider ideas.
    5. Sponsorship for Northwest Rafting Company – David Elliott: We approved a motion to allow NW Rafting Co to put a link up on the WRRR website. WRRR members that sign up for a trip will receive a 10% discount.
    6. Other Sponsorships – Adam Schierenbeck: Contacted On The Water Supply, a new rafting store in town; they declined a sponsorship for financial reasons. We approved a motion to allow them to a) publish a full-page article in the Waterlog promoting their store, and b) publish a small add that we will run monthly for one year. Also, have obtained discount code from at least one vendor and will be contacting more. Will also look into website links in exchange for a kickback or discount.
    7. Graphic design budget – David Elliott: We approved a motion to spend $500 to hire someone to create a new club design; David will get more information
    8. Waterlog schedule – David Elliott: We are going to change the Waterlog schedule effective the end of 2016. The new edition currently comes out at the end of the month, but will change to the beginning of the month or end of last month. (No extra work, just changing the months around.) Brian always needs more Waterlog articles!
  8. Waterlog articles needed by 4/20 – Make sure Brian verifies that he received your article, e.g. send FB message to confirm
    1. Wenatchee Rendezvous and White Salmon teaser – Brennan Filippini
  9. Announcements and good of the order
    1. WRRR website – David Elliott: The links on the website (e.g. river flow links) now open in a new window instead of redirecting away from the WRRR site
  10. Adjourn @ 8:15