Bob Johnson was one of the founders of WRRR, and every June we get together at the Wenatchee River to celebrate WRRR and its founders. We have a potluck, prize raffle, and lots of fun!
We are currently trying to reserve the Tumwater group camp again. We will let people know when a final decision is made.
- The main meet is at the campground at 9am,
- Shuttle from East Leavenworth road at 10am. (From the Safeway in Leavenworth follow East Leavenworth road .7 miles up to the public access with a big parking area.
- The main flotilla Saturday is launching from 11:00 am 11:30am.
- Call any board member and we will relay the information to others and try to help you out. You may also coordinate with other boaters on the Yahoo Group and/or WRRR’s Facebook page. The shuttle is a game of skill, so make sure you coordinate well and pay attention!
- 7:00pm Potluck Dinner at the campground.
- 7:15pm General membership meeting and prizes!
Boating: The main float is Saturday morning for some Summertime Class 3 fun! Flows are back this year, so get ready to rumble! Fun in the sun, big water and classic Wenatchee Rapids! Be ready to shuttle at the East Leavenworth Put in at 9:52am. The WRRR lead boat will launch at 10:45 am and the Sweep boat will launch at 11:30. Win this game of skill by being on time!
THE RUN: Join us for some classic class 3 bigwater boating. Rapids such as Rock-N-Roll, Gorilla Falls, Drunkard’s Drop, Snowblind and Grannies are some of the notable ones. The group eats lunch at lunch island or Rodeo Hole. Sometimes Both! Bring your throw ropes and cameras for lunchtime surf carnage at Rodeo Hole!!!
SAFETY: Please follow the American Whitewater safety code. PFD’s, Helmets, Wetsuit, Etc. The weather should be great so pack some water and a lunch and enjoy the day. Please pay attention to the boaters around you. With the big flotilla fun also comes some danger in the form of you getting lost in the group. Please make sure that 2-5 people are looking after you and you are looking after them. Boating in many pods in the main group are our key to success. There will be an official WRRR lead boat (11am launch) and WRRR Sweep boat launch.
There will be Friday and Sunday trips also depending on interest. Check the Campground, trip leaders, or Yahoo/FB/Forum Groups for Friday trip planning. Sunday plans will be made in the campground Saturday night or Sunday morning. In 2013, there was a trip at 7am, so you never know unless you create it!
Most folks run the Wenatchee but there are some other nice rivers nearby, like the Chiwawa, Entiat, Methow, Icicle Creek, and Peshastin Creek. Make plans on the Yahoo Group or in the campground. If your schedule is tight, hit the Sky on your way home. There’s plenty of runs on the “WET” side of Hwy 2. River runs ranging from class 1-5 abound in the area, so there is always something for everybody.
Camping: Free camping will be available for club members. The Tumwater Campground Facility and dispersed camping in/near Tumwater Canyon is still closed for the 2017 season due to prior years fire danger. We will be camping in the same spot as last year. It’s dispersed camping and in a nice spot (Eagle Creek up Chumstick highway area). WRRR will provide toilets and firewood (or propane if there is a fire ban) Directions to the campground:
1. From US 2 (near Safeway) in Leavenworth go north on Chumstick hwy for just over 2.2 miles
2. Take a right on eagle creek road go for 5.5 miles to the end of pavement and go LEFT.
3. Continue on the gravel For 1.5 miles.
4. Take a right at FS road 7531 for 1 mile! You have arrived. We will have wrrr signs at all the turns starting at Eagle creek road. We request that you keep dogs on leash and police their do-do.
Saturday Night Potluck Dinner: We will be having a great meal, but we need your creative and wonderful campfire cooking skills. You bring food and your own beverages. WRRR will bring paper plates, plastic utensils, cups and napkins. Dinner is at 6:30 PM on Saturday to allow time for the raffle and general membership meeting
Anybody with a Dutch oven will be coveted this evening. If you aren’t sure what to bring the following is a suggestion for the type of dish to make or bring. If you have a specialty or preference please bring what you like. Last name begins with:
A-P Main dish P-R Side dish or salad S-Z Dessert
Raffle: Following dinner on Saturday at the Tumwater group camp the club will raffle off some great river gear. You can buy your tickets at the campground before the raffle starts (or you can buy tickets from the newsletter editor after the raffle is over for half price!)
Trip Leaders: Brenan Filippini, WRRR board