Balancing a catboat for solo carrying

Shoot the breeze with other boaters about rivers, gear, and techniques.

Balancing a catboat for solo carrying

Postby David Elliott » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:47 am

I can lift and carry my little catboat, but I have a really hard time getting it balanced. I'm either dragging it on it's rear end or shoving it on the ground.

Has anyone come up with a good way to balance their boat? I've thought about maybe creating a kind of "suspender" system with straps, but I don't know how that would work.
David Elliott
dce@dcell.com
David Elliott

Re: Balancing a catboat for solo carrying

Postby PinkyF » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:12 am

If I pack mine backwards it is balanced perfectly holding my scout bars. Maybe try that first. It took me a couple trips to adjust my safety gear and spare oars, but now it's great. If I am going down a hill to enter the river from dry land, I just turnaround and push off....

On Kim's boat, we ran straps from the back D-ring to the Middle. This let's 2 people carry it from the inside (1 front 1 back).

I ordered my boat at Neil's suggestion of handles on the inside of the tubes. That works good!
PinkyF

Postby forumadmin » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:09 pm

With two people, carrying is easy. I have straps going from the rear of the frame to the back D-rings so there are "handles" that are convenient.

It's really just a problem when I'm trying to carry it myself. I think it's due to me having a shorter frame setup. I can't get far back enough on the scout bars to balance it.
forumadmin
Site Admin

Postby PinkyF » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:52 pm

yes, that makes sense forum admin. Next time we boat together, try mine and I'll show you how I adjusted it. My hope was to carry it solo forward, but it didn't work out as I like the frame way out front.

Kims boat is impossible for one person unless you drag it. It's a beast easily over 100 lbs. Mine is pretty easy since its only about 60 lbs.

On your next cat put the chafe pads on the drag area :)
PinkyF

Postby David Elliott » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:55 pm

I have to remember not to post on the machine where I am the admin.

Anyway, I did get the extra chafe coating on the bottom of the Sotar. My Ocelot is definitely too heavy to drag very far by myself, but it's fine with one person.

I'll try turning the boat around if I decide to use the little cat this afternoon (we're still deciding whether to run the Middle Middle or SF).
David Elliott
dce@dcell.com
David Elliott

Postby David Elliott » Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:36 am

I tried carrying it backwards, and I just couldn't get it balanced. The boat is really short and there's not much weight in the front (except when I'm on it). When I picked it up, it was almost balanced for a moment and then it just fell backwards. I'll have to try a strap system to stabilize it. :idea:
David Elliott
dce@dcell.com
David Elliott

Postby PinkyF » Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:56 am

bummer. If you are that close hopefully the strap will do it. Like a catpack...haha

If you had a small daybag or throwrope you could clip to the front frame rail would that be enough to counterbalance? Then just reposition when you get to your location....

You could try spinning your oars the opposite way too. A couple little things may be all is needed and not really change your operation a whole lot. It sure is nice if you can get to that point....
PinkyF

Postby fridayboatclub » Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:11 pm

do you have any cargo mod behind the back of the rower seat? pretty hard to balance the rig if you do. If not it should just be a matter of shipping your oars one direction or the other and grabbing the scout bards at the balance point. If your scout bars are decked or plated it is not going to work.
fridayboatclub

Return to General Discussion