Mounting my catboat passenger seat

Shoot the breeze with other boaters about rivers, gear, and techniques.

Mounting my catboat passenger seat

Postby David Elliott » Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:27 pm

I have an add-on cargo frame for my cat - I call it "the aluminum ladder" because it's a tubular frame with smaller tubes running perpendicular to the long direction of the frame. It sits on top of the boat and can be used to strap on gear for trips when I don't need a lot of overnight gear.

What I would like to do is to use this to carry a passenger seat. My main frame has space behind the rower's seat for a cooler/drybox, and I have a mesh floor I can put in it so the passenger has a place for their feet.

I don't want to mount the seat permanenly. What I am thinking is mounting the seat to a piece of marine skidguard plywood and then strapping the plywood to the aluminum ladder frame. Do you folks think that straps would hold this down safely and tightly enough for a passenger?
David Elliott
dce@dcell.com
David Elliott

Re: Mounting my catboat passenger seat

Postby PinkyF » Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:02 pm

Ed Aristo, is making a nice mesh style tractor seat that is easily removable. Would be perfect. He had a protype, you may try calling him. it's the seat I hope to use when I make Kim's frame.

Otherwise on our cargo frame we just strap on an empty cooler or drybox and adjust the height with paco pad or cooler pad. The plywood should work, use caution the straps don't slip and then go sliding off.... (IE maybe drill some slats in the wood)

One thing to note, it may throw your weight off and make you back heavy. Sometimes it would be best to put the cargo in front with person and have row frame in the center back..... If I row the gearcat, I like to have gear/person forward and me in back. It rows more like a full raft or paddle boat which I prefer.... I also like my front of boat a couple inches below the back for better tracking.....

Shaun H, has a seat mounted directly to a cooler that works good too.
PinkyF

Postby David Elliott » Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:46 pm

I have a seat and the skidguard plywood. We are planning to route some slots in the board for the straps.

I didn't want to put the seat on a cooler because that would make the passenger sit too high. But, now that I think of it, I do have a cooler frame, so we might try something with that. I might even try just having the passenger sit on a cooler with a Paco Pad strapped to it. That could work OK for the Wenatchee. Not sure if I'd do that for the Sauk, though I could surround Stephanie with drybags to protect her... :lol:

We definitely want to set the boat up with me pretty far forward. For the Wenatchee, we used Wendi's setup which has a passenger seat. It worked pretty nicely, but I would like to have had the frame forward another 6 inches.
David Elliott
dce@dcell.com
David Elliott

Postby Ken Gersten » Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:41 pm

Though I have never used it for sitting, I have a simple rectangular frame. I used heavy duty (1/4 in wide) cable ties to hold it on the frame. Then I strap a Crazy Creek chair to the board. Without the board, I use ropes and wood to support buckets and a small cooler.

--Ken
Ken Gersten

Return to General Discussion