May 2017 Board Meeting Minutes

May 2017 Board Meeting Minutes

  1. Call to order 7:04.   Shawn, David, Joe, Brenan, Nancy
  2. Review minutes and approve.  Minutes approved
  3. Review agenda
  4. 153 members (158 members last month)
  5. Standing Committee Reports
    1. River Watch – Scott Kristiansen (not present)
    2. Safety and Education – David Elliott.   Safety class went well.   Rebecca receiving feedback and planning 2018 class.   David is doing a 50/50 raffle at the Wenatchee to subsidize the next safety class
    3. Communications – Shawn Cadigan
    4. Membership – David Elliott.   Joe asked about Postcards.  Should we do that this year?  David will check budget regarding postcards.   Joe will look into making them.
    5. Programs/Volunteers – Nancy Douty
    6. WRRR Wear – Rebecca Post
  6. Events
    1. Flip Practice roundup (2017-04-23)   Flip practice went well.   There was tons of rain, but we went in the lake anyways!    Rafts, Cats, IK’s, hardshells all practicing their upside down breathing 🙂   Jim BBQ’d up a storm!!!  Event came in under budget
    2. Shangri La Preclean:   Lots of work was done!   Cleaned up trees that had fallen at river, cleared path to river, swept and cleared all roads, raked all gravel, pressure washed all over the place (2/3rds of BB court), Moved the picnic tables, etc.    Lots of people showed up even though we didn’t have the campground for the cleanup.   We probably could have spent another day there, but ran out of time.   Most the crew put in hours both days.   Thanks for the effort guys!
    3. Green River Cleanup roundup (2017-05-06)  The cleanup went well!   We had tons of water 3,000+cfs!!!    We filled up the parks truck and also a flatbed truck.   Flatbed truck dumped Monday .71 tons.   Brenan will hear from the rangers how much trash their truck had.   He will also count up volunteers and send to KP.    Repo and Brenan ran sweep and helped pickup some carnage on the way down.   Sounds like all day boat spacing was great.   Brenan ran into a crew of about 12 boats that were spaced pretty close.  Luckily flow was high, at low water under 1600 cfs, boats likely would have been stuck right of the nozzle….    Moving the BBQ to KP was a huge help to the already light volunteers!   We will plan to do that in future years.   $56 was collected in non member donations.  As it turns out, Flaming geyser was somewhat flooded.  We will take that for high flows though!   Dump Voucher was never received despite multiple attempts to King County Solid Waste.    Several members have contacts with dept of transportation and other non profit cleanup events.   Green River Cleanup Committee will look around next year at other options.   Green River Cleanup Committee plans to use Kanasket Palmer next year for camping and base operations.
    4. Wenatchee Rendezvous status (2017-06-01).    River ops will order porti-potties 1-2 weeks prior.   Jared and Brenan working on Prize Procurement
    5. Sauk Overnighter status (2017-06-24).  Brenan has updated the link and posted all info.  People are signing up.    Non wrrr members to pay $5 if they participate in breakfast.
    6. White Salmon Retreat planning (2017-07-15).  Camping paid for, no other WRRR duties except to have a great weekend!!!
    7. Misc River Ops
  7. Old Business
    1. None
  8. New Business
    1. Shangri-La for next year:   Jason (Shangri-la) expected more or different work done.    Brenan noted that we didn’t finish last year either and several people helped finish pressure washing during the green clean following weekend in 2016.  We had a good amount of people show up even though we didn’t get Shangri La for the cleanup.  Recommend to continue using KP as group camp and keep the BBQ at KP.   Recommend still doing the pre-clean but as day trips and mapping trash.
    2. Review Waterlog ads and sponsors.   Good time to start renewing and working on contacting new sponsors.   Discuss adding buttons / link to wrrr.org website to various outdoor recreational.   Brenan made a motion to supply helmet supplier with free T-shirt.  Motion carries, Shawn will get T shirt size.   Matt the supplier (predator helmets) qualifies as a sponsor as he deeply discounted the helmets for us!
  9. Waterlog articles needed by 5/20
    1. NOTE: Make sure Brian verifies receipt of articles
    2. VP River Ops – Sauk Overnighter full article
    3. VP River Ops – White Salmon full article
    4. VP River Ops – Poker Run teaser
  10. Announcements and good of the order.   Joe – Suggests WRRR take advantage of the adopt a highway program.  Joe will look into this.   Great idea!!!
  11. Good of the order:   SF Stilly Tuesday nights after work!  Going great.   Went for the 6th time last night.  Even Kim made it!    MM Thursday nights are going strong.  IF the MM is too high alternate rivers are run.   What a great club, every week people are boating 5 days!   (Tuesday, Thurs, Fri, Sat, Sun)
  12. Adjourn   7:35